Smooth-Cast - Onyx
Smooth-Cast ONYX® is a mercury-free urethane resin that cures at room temperature to a deep black, solid plastic.
ONYX® resins offer the convenience of a 1A:1B by volume mix ratio and have very low viscosities, so they are easy to mix and pour. ONYX® resins have an ultimate Shore hardness of 80D and offer higher physical properties and higher heat resistance vs. other general purpose resins. ONYX® resins are available in 2 speeds.
ONYX® FAST resin has a pot life of 2.5 minutes and a cure time of 10-15 minutes, while ONYX® SLOW has a pot life of 5 minutes and a cure time of 90 minutes.
Advantages that ONYX® resins offer over other resins;
1) if you desire a black casting, adding color pigment is not necessary
2) cured plastic is ultra-black and darker than competitive black resins
3) cured ONYX® plastic can be polished and buffed to a high gloss shine and
4) ONYX® offers higher heat resistance vs. competitive black resins
5) unlike other black resins, ONYX® does not contain mercury
6) ONYX® is less expensive vs. other black resins
Applications include reproducing sculpture, making prototypes and potting / encapsulation. Due to it's quick cure time and hardness, ONYX® FAST is a good choice for creating fast cold cast bronze, brass, copper, nickel/silver, etc. effects.